Senior Applications Developer, BI
1 Emerson Lane Secaucus, NJ 07094
Summary: This is an IT senior developer position responsible for leading and assisting with development efforts for the Business Intelligence/Database Administration (BI/DBA) area in support of internal systems and customers. The position requires a strong background in business intelligence with a deep MicroStrategy concentration. This individual should have extensive hands-on experience with the various components of the MicroStrategy product catalog. In addition this person should have extensive knowledge and hands-on experience developing simple grid reports to complex dashboards leveraging advanced MicroStrategy objects (e.g. Intelligent Cubes and Visual Insight). This person will work with the BI/DBA team, other IT teams, business analysts, as well as hardware, software and service vendors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Define, develop, test, and deploy MicroStrategy objects and Netezza views for Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence environments
- Provide input into Business Intelligence domain across the organization considering business requirements, company standards, security aspects, and operational efficiency to ensure fully informed decisions are made
- Work with BI/DBA teams to create and maintain consistency and accuracy of all logical and physical data models associated with semantic layer metadata.
- Work as a MicroStrategy administrator, as necessary, to ensure the MicroStrategy environment(s) adhere to company standards and are operating efficiently.
- Work with MicroStrategy stakeholders and power user community to understand their reporting and analytics needs and ensure that the MicroStrategy solution is architected in such a way that it meets or exceeds their needs
- Mentor business and IT partners in MicroStrategy development best practices to continually improve and increase BI capabilities
- Develop deep knowledge of business and processes to ensure timely and accurate deliverables of BI content.
- Work with BI management to abide by Data Governance standards and guidelines.
- Follow guidelines regarding code development and deployment to ensure compliance.
- Keep current in terms of technology and best practices to ensure investment continues to benefit the organization.
- Provide regular updates to BI/DBA manager and assist with project planning, and execution of Data Management strategic roadmap.
- Form strong partnerships with vendors to maximize vendor solutions and services for utilization
.Specific Job Knowledge
- Demonstrates strong working knowledge of the relevant programming languages, tools, and technologies for the area supported.
- Has a strong working understanding of installed systems, with the ability to troubleshoot and resolve most problems on the existing systems supported.
- Keeps up to date on the changing business needs for the area supported and the subsequent impact on applications.
- Discusses technology-related business problems with clients and project partners, and collaborates to assess options and develop the best solution.
- Builds and maintains knowledge about company’ s processes and strategies.
- Builds and promotes integration across systems including applications outside of their area of responsibility.
- Possesses general knowledge about data extraction, transformation and loading methods
- Highly technical knowledge of Business Intelligence tools, primarily MicroStrategy including tool configuration and usage, internal structures, architect design concepts, optimization techniques and development of complex objects and dashboards
- Highly technical knowledge of relational and dimensional databases, physical database design concepts, database access and query languages
- Experience in development, production support processes and problem resolution according to service-level agreements
- Highly technical and strong MicroStrategy development and tuning skills
- Must possess excellent communication skills
- Must possess ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Must possess excellent investigative and problem solving abilities
- 5+ years advanced hands-on experience with MicroStrategy
- 5+ years SQL programming experience
- 5+ years of experience with BI or Data Warehouse projects
- Must be proficient with MS Office ' 07 (or higher) - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Retail Industry experience is required
- Netezza experience is a significant plus
- BI visualization tool (e.g. Visual Insights, Tableau) experience preferred
- Extract/Transformation/Load (ETL) tool experience is a plus
- Working knowledge of Snowflake and Oracle is a definite plus
- Knowledge of Mi9 is a plus
Education and Experience: Typical candidates will possess 5+ years of relevant experience and a BS in Computer Science or related fields, or equivalent experience.
Recruiting Director, Information Technology
Vanda joined the team at The Connors Group in 2001. She believes that clients value the goal of delivering the best results in adding value to their growth strategies… Helping to connect them to a higher level of talent. Candidates value trust that she'll keep their best interests in mind when it comes to finding the right opportunity for their career. Identifying the “Je Ne Sais Quoi” helps in balancing the needs of clients with the needs of candidates!
Vanda embodies value in how she's always willing to go an extra step and be readily accessible. She knows it’s important to trust her gut instinct and has been described by others as intuitive. Vanda enjoys focusing her energy on building relationships with everyone she works with. She loves what she does and proud of the results provided in matching job seekers to opportunities with her clients.
Vanda is always striving to learn new things and improve her craft, despite an established reputation in successfully placing IT professionals for over a decade. Vanda prides herself on an established network of top talent that is unrivaled. Vanda's policy is to always treat people the way she wants to be treated and to always put her best foot forward. She likes to bring a high level of optimism, creativity, and energy to each situation. A charismatic personality and can-do attitude make her a highly sought-after Recruiter.