Principal Engineer, Site Reliability
233 Spring St FL6 NY, NY 10013
We are seeking a Principal Software Engineer to be responsible for helping drive system architecture and selecting technologies in a production environment, as well as the tooling used to promote changes to that environment.
You will be responsible to evaluate currently used technologies which include Python, JS, Tornado and AWS infrastructure— and help to decide which other ones to introduce.
You’ ll also be help to introduce best practices and guidance around all aspects of technology in order to help build a best-in-class technology discipline
- Help build a roadmap for all engineering teams to use highly scalable, observable, and reliable infrastructure services as standard practice
- Drive the execution and delivery of this roadmap across the engineering organization, working closely with other SREs and other principal engineers
- Provide technical guidance and facilitate the process of engineering design reviews on migrations towards service-oriented architecture, changes to existing architecture, and making existing systems more scalable
- Build a metrics-driven operational culture helping build out our practices for KPI measurement and review as well as for logging, monitoring, alerting, and on-call practices
- Make iterative improvements to incident management processes, incident post-mortems, reliability initiatives, and system recovery planning across the organization
- Work with security teams and risk managers to meet security, privacy, compliance, reliability and uptime objectives
- Propose and drive large improvements to production systems to achieve significant impact to our business and engineering teams
- Mentor and coach other engineers to be help solve technical challenges and grow overall technical prowess
- 8 years professional programming experience
- Deep technical experience with cloud providers, containerization technologies, automated deployment frameworks, orchestration frameworks, monitoring, logging, alerting, system internals, networking, databases, distributed systems, and service-oriented architecture
- Knowledge of implementing load, stress, tuning, & reliability testing at scale
- Strong communication skills and the ability to influence others
- Strong belief in accountability and holding engineering teams to high standards
- An expert in data modeling in one or more modern relational databases
- Knowledgeable of computer science fundamentals
- An admirer of beautiful code
- Armed with great taste and design sensibility, even for internal applications
- Able, willing, and just plain excited to learn new domains quickly
- Curious and passionate about innovation
- Not on the Office of Inspector General’ s List of Excluded Individuals/Entities (LEIE)
Nice to have;
- Experience with multiple languages, web frameworks, and datastores
- Skills in web service design and implementation (e.g. REST, JSON-RPC, SOAP/WSDL)
- Direct involvement with open source software projects
- Also a plus: experience with Python, JS, OpenCV, React, Reactive Cocoa, Tornado and/or AWS infrastructure (they use them all!)
Meet Your Recruiter
Recruiting Director, Information Technology
Pattie joined the Connors Group team in 2017. Knowing how it’s important to always try and make the right impression with each interaction; Pattie personally feels that clients look for a Recruiter who demonstrates honesty, integrity, as well as trust. When proactively developing a strategic partnership, clients want to know that they can depend on you to deliver the most qualified candidates for their current openings. As a recruiter, she embodies that value in demonstrating passion in her work; evident as they encounter the level of excitement in describing past achievements or enthusiasm in approach to find the most qualified talent for their team!
Pattie strongly feels that candidates prefer that their career is centered around their quality of life. The chance to express preferences for a new job while feeling secure helps encourage them to do what they do best. Quality candidates like to be presented with long-term opportunities where they can see how their skills align with each company. Alternately, people who just feel comfortable tend to base any opportunity on what they currently need in order to make ends meet. Pattie embodies these values by matching the candidate to a position that provides an opportunity to learn, progress, and contribute to the company. Team work is always very key when it comes to empowering an individual to hone their expertise; allowing them the chance to grow within any organization.
Summoning the courage and strength to start her own business while also starting a family is something Pattie is very proud of. Obtaining that perfect balance is always a key challenge, but you need to totally embrace it in order to overcome it. A Director at her former company referred to her as “fearless” …and while she never thought of herself like that, hearing the complement did make her very proud! Her goal is to continue to have a stimulating career; providing open, supportive collaboration to inspire opportunity in the market. She would like to be positioned as someone who is focused on fostering strength in others! Outside of the office, Pattie loves skiing with her family… typically taking a trip out west every year. Going bike riding and taking family vacations are great. She loves summers at a Long Island beach home, going fishing with her boys and spending time at the pool and at the beach!