Lead Data Center Technician
Union, NJ 07083
The candidate for the position of Lead Data Center Technician will be aiding in the day-to-day operation of the Company’ s primary IT Data Center Facility located in Union, NJ on the Company’ s Corporate Campus.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• The successful candidate will have general “ hands-on” experience and knowledge of the operation of IT Facilities including:
o Data Center conditioned raise floor space environments
o Dedicated Electrical Power Rooms, Generators, Switch Gear and UPS Systems
o Power and Data cable management best practices
o Managing, monitoring and reporting on enterprise data center environments
o Coordination of Key support vendor relationships and support contracts for mechanical equipment in one of the Company’ s IT facilities
• Implementation of corrective maintenance and problem resolution, including emergency response to Data Center Specific incidents
• Communicate effectively across the IT organization to facilitate departmental goals and objectives
• Help to establish, implement and monitor standards, procedures and KPIs related to all IT facilities
• Other assignments as determined by Data Center Services team.
• Install various structured cabling systems including copper & fiber patch panels, racks, cabinets, cable managers, conduits, and patching
• Install routers, switches, configure ports, racking servers (50-60lb’ s)
• Monitor performance and ensure system availability and reliability, monitor system resource utilization, trending, and capacity planning (Experience with monitoring, network
diagnostic and network analytics tools)
• Provide Level-2/3 support and troubleshooting to resolve issues
• Act as a lead data center technician as needed including leading troubleshooting and problem resolution with cabling infrastructure, installation and patching issues
• Gather documentation and establish project plans/processes
• Support day-to-day operations of the data center.
• Provide quality checks and close remote hands for customers with limited direction.
• Troubleshoot physical problems and address issues.
• Consult with senior peers on complex projects.
• Review work orders and as post-work quality assurance to ensure requests are handled accordingly to requests.
• Schedule and facilitate installations and vendor meetings as needed
• Data collection of IT asset and MEP configurations
• Help coordinate and conduct meetings, assist in the gathering of information and record meeting deliverables as needed
• Create and maintain detailed project documentation, spreadsheets and correspondence using Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
• Coordinate and supervise vendors (cable installations or any other technology) during the construction and buildout of the data center including monitoring their work, facilitating
equipment deliveries, ensuring design is implemented properly, identifying and escalating issues and confirming proper documentation is maintained
• Coordinate low-voltage cable installation according to client specifics including all patching and cross-connects for both voice and data
The position requires a demonstrated ability to work independently and drive results in a fast paced / business growth environment.
QUALIFYING EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE/SKILLS
• 5+ years of progressive experience working in enterprise Data Centers or equivalent critical/high availability space.
• Demonstrated understanding of information technology, data center operations, facilities management, and overall IT Facility best practices
• Proficiency with DCiM, BMS, and Microsoft Office including Visio.
• The ability to multi-task; capable of meeting deadlines
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong customer centric focus and skills
• Analytical reasoning and problem solving ability
Ken Peters co-founded The Connors Group in June, 2001 and has been responsible for building the foundation of this premier IT staffing organization that serves clients in the areas of executive search, staff placements and consulting services. Ken has over 23 years experience in information technology and IT recruiting.
Ken’s IT background gives him a unique prospective to what an employer is looking for in an IT professional, as well as what’s important to a prospective candidate.
Handling the operations side of The Connors Group, Ken is always looking to leverage technology to create a world class infrastructure. Implementing this technology gives Connors a competitive edge, and adds tremendous value to our clients, and candidates.