Director of Business Development, Specialty Retail
9089 Clairemont Mesa Blvd Suite 210 San Diego, CA 92123 | Direct Hire
As a Director of Business Development, you will set the stage to grow better and faster by opening new vertical markets in small to medium retail and manufacturing space. Our client already has a dominant position in the Big Ticket vertical and some ready-made references to enter specialty apparel and specialty hard line vertical markets. As a fast growing company, our challenge is not ‘ Can we deliver?’ It is about opening the new market with a focus on our core competencies and beliefs in how we do business.
The ideal candidate must have contacts and reference customers in the small to medium retail and manufacturing space for specialty hard-line and soft-line vertical markets. The candidate must enjoy working in a fast-paced highly collaborative environment and have stellar communications skills with a desire to work with our customers, their vendors, and our software.
What you will be doing:
- Sell solutions in the vertical markets
- Develop a book of business and pipeline in these vertical markets
- Drive the marketing and outreach program
- Provide input and direction on trade shows
- Be willing to travel, as required to launch in the newer markets
- Build selling points and messages that resonate with small to medium business
- Learn our clients way of doing business
- Exceptional leadership skills with strong capabilities selling and relationship building
- Excellent communications skills: oral and written communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Proven knowledge of EDI, supply chain integration and logistics
- Bankable customer references
- Proven sales record
- Marketing and message building
- Strong time management skills
- Strong negotiation skills and the ability to work with all levels of an organization both internally and externally
- Ability to influence and consult (providing pros, cons and risks) around decisions during sales and assist during project delivery
- Conversant in various tools for management, project planning and time tracking including MS Project and MS Excel
- Ability to thrive in a diverse, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to build consensus within project teams to ensure positive results
- Detail-oriented with excellent analytical and problem solving skills, including the ability to deal with situations where information is difficult to obtain, complex or ambiguous
Recruiting Dir., Retail, Apparel, Beauty & Luxury Industry
Tara joined the Connors Group team in 2018 as Recruiting Director, Retail, Apparel, Beauty & Luxury Industry Specialist. She believes clients value a recruiter who is curious, fast, efficient, honest and a brand ambassador. They want to ensure that the candidate they are getting is the right fit for their brand or business. Because Tara has been in retail in many different roles for 26 years, she offers the ability to anticipate the questions a candidate may ask, so that she can interview like a subject matter expert. As the candidate's very first interaction with the company, it is critical to represent the brand and company in the best way possible. Tara knows candidates value a recruiter who is friendly, honest, has exceptional follow-up skills and gives sound career advise. She understands the ins and outs on how to run a business from both a sales perspective and operational perspective. Knowledge of the roles she recruits for allows her to quickly assess if someone is right and ready for the role. And because she has also been the "candidate," Tara appreciates the importance of follow-up. There is nothing worse than experiencing radio silence after you've gone through the interview process. Good news or bad news, she won't leave you guessing.
Tara is most proud of her legacy of talent, possessing the ability to identify, select and retain top professionals. She has developed and coached individuals on a consistent basis, and nothing gives her greater satisfaction than watching teams succeed and move on to bigger and better things! She is also proud of the fact that she opened 17 stores with e.l.f. Cosmetics in a year and half. In her over two years with e.l.f. she helped create and structure how the stores run today, from both a service and staffing perspective, to the operational way in which they function. Really having to become a jack of all trades; she is very proud of what was accomplished there.
A career goal is to be seen as an HR expert in the recruiting field. Tara wants to leverage her experience in running stores, HR and Learning & Development to reach a broader scope of candidates. Her desire is to build trust with the hiring managers and HR so that they think of our company first before going to any other recruiting firm. In speaking to some fun facts, when not at work, she likes to spend as much time outdoors as possible; and loves to run, bike, hike and ski. A Long Island resident, Tara is a lacrosse mom and can be found on the field every weekend cheering on her 3 kids. Her husband is a Battalion Chief for the FDNY in the Bronx. Tara also loves sitting on the beach while reading a good book!